Elaine Gordon Scholarship 2013 (Women's Studies)
The Elaine Gordon Scholarship program was established in 2000 to honor the life and work of Elaine Gordon, a former state legislator who, for 22 years, championed equal rights for women.
Application To be considered for this award, a student must submit the following:
• A resume
• A typed, two-page essay addressing how the student has and intends to pursue the goals expressed in Elaine Gordon's work and achievements (click on expanded biography for more information), as well as how financial assistance will help achieve these goals.
• Financial need statement (financial need will be one consideration in awarding the scholarship)
• One letter of recommendation from a present or former professor
• An unofficial transcript reflecting all course work completed
• Application Cover Sheet (see link below)
• Be fully admitted in the College of Arts and Sciences as a Women’s Studies Major or Certificate earner.
• Have completed or be enrolled in a minimum of 9 credit hours of Women’s Studies courses.
• Be enrolled as an undergraduate student at the time of application.
• Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
• Financial need will be one consideration in awarding the scholarship.
Undergraduates with one to two semesters of study remaining are eligible. In addition, graduating seniors who meet the above criteria and have proof of admission to a graduate degree program at FIU for Fall are also eligible for the award.
Award amount: $2500 per year - For more information on the Elaine Gordon scholarship, click Women's Studies.
Application Deadline: March 8th, 2013
Fred Hoover Scholarship 2013 (Physics)
The Fred Hoover Memorial Endowment Fund was created to honor Mr. Hoover's memory by providing financial support to undergraduate students majoring in Physics at the Florida International University. Mr. Hoover enrolled at FIU in 1972 and was the first FIU student to graduate with a degree in Physics.
Application To submit an application students will need to provide the following:
•A typed, one-page essay addressing why and how the student intends to pursue a career in Physics as well as how financial assistance will help achieve these goals
•Financial need statement (financial need will be one consideration in awarding the scholarship)
•One letter of recommendation from a present or former professor. An unofficial transcript reflecting all course work completed or in progress
•Application Cover Sheet
Eligibility requirements To be eligible for this award students must satisfy the following requirements:
•Be fully admitted in the College of Arts and Sciences as a Physics Major
•Have completed or be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours in Physics and/or Math courses
•Be enrolled as an undergraduate student at the time of application
•Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
Award amount: $2500 per year - For more information on this and other Physics scholarships, click Physics.
Application Deadline: March 1st, 2013
All materials must be sent to:
Fred Hoover Memorial Scholarship Program
Department of Physics
Florida International University
11200 SW 8th Street CP 204
Miami, FL 33199